Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sewing Tips and Information



There is so much information on the internet now and I am personally so thankful for all the people who have been willing to share their knowledge. I have recently come across someone who wasn't willing to share any information, probably because she didn't think it would benefit her (that's my guess), but by not helping me out it has made me aware to not trust or go through this person again.

Most of what I have learned is through the YouTube videos, or countless other tutorials online. Sometimes if I have a question and I'm in Joann's or Hobby Lobby I have been able to ask the ladies a question and get a really great answer.. not always mind you! Some women just don't like to share! Since I like to share I thought I would share a few simple tips and techniques that I have learned over the past 6 months.

  • French Seams- it's sewing WRONG sides together and then RIGHT sides. Why use it? Because you will get a cleaner inside seam and it will be stronger! Forget about serging try a french seam instead.
  • Sewing Vinyl- use the paper wrap that comes with it so it does get stuck in the feed. If it didn't come with the paper, then use tissue paper. Just cut it to the size of what you are sewing and cover both sides of the vinyl, then when your project is done tear the tissue paper off and voila!
  • Do you iron? I didn't at first, but it makes a BIG difference! Ironing and using premium starch can make all the difference in making a project look more proffessional like.
  • Iron on Vinyl- it exists, but it's not all that great. I used it for a project and got the job done fine but there were some problems. First of all, I had to turn the project inside and out a lot in order to get all the linings and pockets etc into it.. that caused the vinyl to "break", it looked aweful! Thankfully you can just iron those spots out, but it was a very tiring project.
That's about it for now. I know I learned a lot more, but can't think of anymore at this point. I will more than likely just write up several different "tips and information" when needed or can be done. If you have any questions I am always willing to try my best to answer, if I don't know I will tell you and try to find the information somewhere else. Thanks!

2 comments:

Adam Lee said...

I would like to offer a correction to this post, you wrote "I will it at that" at the end of the first paragraph.

Laine said...

Thanks... I had probably written something and then lost 1/2 of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails